April 2nd, 2014
Please Join Us for a special agricultural workshop!
UMASS Greenhouse Crops
& Floriculture Specialist
GREENHOUSE BIOLOGICAL PEST MANAGEMENT
Monday, April 14, 2-4pm at the Hayloft, Bartletts Farm
Thrips, aphids, fungus gnats, shore flies and mites can be a challenge on ornamental spring crops and vegetable bedding plants grown in greenhouses. Tina will talk about managing these important greenhouse pests using cultural and biological management strategies.
Hands-on in the Greenhouses
Tuesday, April 15, 9-noon at Bartletts Farm (meet at the Hayloft)
Walk the greenhouses with Tina! On-site demonstration of diagnostic test kit for virus detection, followed by scouting plants and discussion.
With thanks to MDAR for their support.
March 28th, 2014
Please join home & farm growers at the Sustainable Nantucket Community Farm Educational Series!
Bartletts Farm Organic Grower
Let’s Talk Soils!
At the Mitchell’s Corner Bookstore on Main Street, 2nd floor, Friday March 28 at 6pm. Free.
For more information about the Community Farm, please contact us at 508-228-3399508-228-3399.
January 14th, 2014
Sustainable Nantucket’ s Nantucket Grown™ Campaign which includes our brand and publication, promotes and encourages the consumption of locally grown food on Nantucket.
6,500 complimentary magazines are available at:
- Sustainable Nantucket Farmers & Artisans Market (June-October)
- Stop & Shop, Hy-line, Annye’s Whole Foods and Barlett’s Farm
- Also available on our website and at our events, with promotion in our e-newsletters as well as Facebook and Twitter pages
- Businesses that purchase an ad space by January 31 will receive a “Pay Now” 10% discount.
- Businesses that apply and pay now for the NantucketGrown Brand will receive a 15% discount off any size ad! Click here for details.
Click here for rates and purchasing details.
Contact the Sustainable Nantucket office at 508-228-3399 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
November 1st, 2013
Schools across the country have been adopting a Harvest of the Month campaign as a means to improve student nutrition by empowering them to choose a wider variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables. With the celebration of National Farm to School Month, Sustainable Nantucket’s Farm to School Program piloted a Harvest of the Week campaign highlighting kale, butternut squash, potatoes, and pumpkin throughout the month of October. In addition to the school food service department incorporating these locally grown crops into the school lunch menu, local chefs from the SeaGrille, American Seasons and the NPS Culinary Art’s department added their culinary expertise to create unique dishes around the weekly harvest. These culinary creations of potato hash, butternut squash soup, kale chips and pumpkin ice cream were then served to NHS and CPS students as a free sampling during their lunch period.
THANK YOU to Bartlett’s and Moors End Farsm for helping to provide the food and their agricultural expertise during the distribution of the chef samples and THANK YOU to the chefs for donating your time to create these delicious bites.
July 11th, 2013
Our new 2013 Nantucket Grown Magazine has hit the shelves! Want to find out about verbena syrup from our island grower, herbalist and chocolatier, Claudia Wallace? Or get advice from Bartlett’s Farm own Andrew Spoilett on how to apply sustainable pest management systems into your own garden? Click on the photo below to link to a PDF of our Magazine, or visit any of the following locations to pick up a free copy of your own!: Stop & Shop, Bartlett’s Farm, Annye’s Whole Foods or the Hy-line!
May 10th, 2013
Sustainable Nantucket’s Nantucket GrownTM Brand recently received some great press in our local paper! This beautifully written article (Page 1 and Page 2 found here), by Inquirer & Mirror staff member Kate Berman, highlights the restaurants involved with the Nantucket GrownTM Brand and the benefits the Brand provides to the restaurants, their customers and our local farmers.
For any questions or how to become a Nantucket GrownTM Brand holder please CLICK HERE!
January 29th, 2013
2013 Nantucket Grown Campaign
NOW is the time to become a part of Sustainable Nantucket’s Nantucket GrownTM Campaign —which includes the Nantucket GrownTM Brand and the Nantucket GrownTM Magazine —and raises awareness and consumer demand for local food and hand-made artisanal products on-island.
We present to you two opportunities to be a part of the Nantucket GrownTM Campaign: through participating in the Brand and/or advertising in the Magazine.
Participate in the Nantucket GrownTM Brand
- All restaurants / food service businesses that consistently source ANY local produce or products from local farms and purveyors should apply! If a restaurant or food service establishment sources:
- 5% to 15% of their produce and harvested or produced products locally, they can achieve the brand at the Bronze level.
- 15 – 30% of their produce and harvested or produced products locally, they can achieve the brand at the Silver level.
- 30 – 50%, or more, of their produce and harvested or produced products locally, they can achieve the brand at the Gold level.
- Once awarded the brand, businesses can use the 2013 Nantucket GrownTM logo – which Sustainable Nantucket will provide — in their branding and marketing including:
- in their menu boxes /windows
- on the menu
- in advertising
- on websites and facebook pages
- Sustainable Nantucket promotes our Nantucket GrownTM members :
- on our website (over 14,000 unique visitors in 2012 alone.)
- in our weekly e-newsletters (over 1400 recipients)
- in our Nantucket GrownTM magazine (6500 copies)
- at the information table at the SN Farmers & Artisans Market (which saw 38,000 people in the 2012 season!)
Advertise in Nantucket GrownTM Magazine
- Nantucket GrownTM is published yearly by Sustainable Nantucket dedicated to the people and businesses that comprise the unique, local, living economy and community of the island.
- 6,500 complimentary magazines are available at:
- The SN Farmers & Artisans Market
- Island grocers such as ~ Stop & Shop, Bartlett’s Farm, Moors End Farm, Annye’s Whole Foods
- Hyline Ferry Terminal
- All SN events
***Businesses that apply by a certain date are eligible to participate in a lottery for a profile in our magazine!
Click HERE for a Brand application. Click HERE to view our rates for promotional space in our Nantucket GrownTM publication!