Help Us Enhance the Front of the Farm & Cultivate the Back 6!
In spring of 2016, the Nantucket Islands Land Bank awarded Sustainable Nantucket an additional 6.5 acres at the back of the Walter F. Ballinger Educational Community Farm kicking off Phase II of the Community Farm! This acreage will be organically and sustainably farmed by our Beginning Farmers who have graduated to our Seasoned Farmers program! To provide our Beginning & Seasoned Farmers the best tools for success, in addition to the Back 6 project, we are enhancing the existing infrastructure of the Front of the Farm!
Front of the Farm Enhancement Infrastructure Includes:
- Solar Wrap for our Propagation Greenhouse (sponsored)
- A Solar-Heated, Hot Water Wash Station (sponsored)
- An Eco-Friendly Outhouse (sponsored)
- A Fruit Tree Garden (sponsored)
- Outdoor Kitchen
- The Outdoor Kitchen will be a place to teach cooking and preserving the harvest
- The Outdoor Kitchen will include a stove, sink and refrigeration.
- Mobile Farm Stand
- The Mobile Farm Stand will be stationed in front of the farm and will be stocked with produce from our Beginning and Seasoned Farmers.
- Outdoor Classroom
- The Outdoor Classroom will be a space for workshops and classes, lectures and films.
- The Outdoor Classroom will include:
- A shade structure
- Seating and a lectern
- Tables and work-space for hands-on classes
Back 6 Seasoned Farm Acreage Infrastructure Includes:
- 6 1/2-acre Seasoned Farmer Plots
- Plots will be allotted to graduates of the incubator farm’s Beginning Farmer program.
- We anticipate our first Beginning Farmer graduate to be cultivating in the Back 6 in summer 2017!
- As each graduate moves onto the Seasoned Farm Acreage, we will accept new participants into the beginning farmer program, thereby exponentially increasing the number of farmers growing food on the island, every 3 to 5 years.
- Bee Sanctuary
- The Bee Sanctuary will:
- Provide a home for bees on the farm
- Provide a place for knowledgeable island beekeepers to keep their hives and provide hands-on beekeeping education
- Help in the effort to preserve and support our bee populations, while the bees provide honey and enhance the pollination of our community farm crops.
- The Bee Sanctuary will:
- Food Forest (sponsored)
- The Food Forest will be planted and cultivated at the edges of the Back 6.
- The Food Forest will:
- Support biodiversity
- Create habitat for wildlife & insects including pollinators
- Build healthy soil
- Provide a perennial buffer zone protecting sensitive areas
- Provides fruit, nuts, and herbs for foraging and gleaning
To learn more about how to contribute to the campaign to grow the Walter F. Ballinger Educational Community Farm: Email: email@example.com
Call the Sustainable Nantucket Office at: (508) 228-3399